Xbox 360 had an update this morning. So did Wii. So happy double console system update tuesday! Brought to you by the days of the week.
Major Nelson says:
Moments ago, the team released a system update (aka Dash update) to Xbox Live. Over the next few hours, when you sign in to Xbox LIVE, you’ll receive a prompt to accept this mandatory update. What’s in this update? The only thing this minor release will do is prepare your Xbox 360 for the wireless guitars that are being released in a few months.No new features beyond this wireless support are included in this update. As usual, we’ve got some new features planned for later this year as part of our biannual release cycle.
Wii System Update 3:
– Digital Clock added to the Wii Menu right under the channel bar
– Forecast Channel now displays the current condition directly in the Wii Menu in the Forecast Channel box
– News Channel can now show 2 scrolling headlines at a time in the Wii Menu, 3 when you click on the button
– Message Board now has the “Today’s Accomplishments” message as a white message which allows it to stand out from other messages
– Address Book entries can now be shifted around using A+B but only to empty spaces.
– Calendar in Message Board no longer shows “Today’s Accomplishment”
– Scrolling messages in the Message Board now uses a different sound
Wii Shop Channel
– New Welcome screen detailing 4 Recommended Titles and the points they cost. The title bar can be clicked on to bring up a list of 20 recommended games.
– Titles You’ve Downloaded was moved to the main shop menu
– New ways to browse
– Popular Titles
– Newest Additions remains the same
– Search for a title which can use partial names
– Search by Category
– Search by Publisher
– Search by Genre
– System shows the different systems and how many titles have been released under each
– Warning added pre-system update detailing that technically modified consoles may cease to function upon being updated. Also the only way to not accept an update is to power down the console by holding the button for 4 seconds.
The clock looks horrible and out of place on the Wii menu. They should have changed the numbering on it to jive with the other Wii lettering. Also, the Weather channel functionality isn’t really anything that anyone would need. It displays an icon of the current condition outside. Like rain clouds for when it’s raining (which you could totally hear from inside the house if it were, sort of defeating the purpose). But today it is Hazy in Ohio, which looks like a peanut butter smudge on the same old icon.
Fun fun…I guess.